- Granting Graduate and Travel Awards to graduate students annually
- Liaising with other APA and SfHP committees as appropriate
- Providing strategic recommendations to the SfHP Executive Committee regarding research directions such as recommending eminent researchers for expert panels when requested, serving as the source for review processes, or for input on research-related matters brought to the Society.
- Maintaining an expanding list of resources for researchers to successfully obtain funding and conduct excellent research.
- Acquiring information relevant to funding, ethics and knowledge transfer information for the discipline.
- Publicizing new or surging areas of research in health psychology via our Division Listservs.
- Arranging for the publication of announcements and/or articles in The Health Psychologist, on the SfHP website and the Society’s listserv
Current Research Council Activity:
- We are currently assisting the newly formed APA Panels for developing treatment guidelines for obesity and PTSD.
Student Research Awards:
The primary way our council achieves its purpose is by granting student research awards. Two types of awards are granted:
Student Research Award: funds research for five students, principal investigators, usually dissertations.
Student Travel Award: funds travel to the three highest rated student submissions to the APA annual convention.
- SfHP Health Research Council Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.
- APA’s latest database of measures PsycTESTS.
- For high standards of ethical conduct in health psychology research please visit: APA Science Directorate Research Ethics
- Society of Health Psychology’s journal, Health Psychology
- The APA Center for Psychology and Health works to secure psychology’s role in the overall improvement of health and health care in the United States
- Society of Health Psychology’s Newsletter The Health Psychologist
- Health Psychology Research: Division 38 Video Series